Carolina Kitchen: Albondigas with Apricots and Cinnamon
by The Asheville Kitchen, Chef: Brian Ross
For the meatballs:
- 1 slice old bread
- Enough milk to soak
- 1/2 pound ground chuck or round
- 1 garlic clove smashed
- 1 oz chopped parsely
- 1 beaten egg
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
For the sauce:
- 2 oz sugar
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz sherry vinegar
- 2 cups veal stock or chicken stock
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 best quality apricot halves in a light syrup or juice
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs and then form into small balls, then cook to color in the olive oil.
- In another shallow pan, cook the sugar with the butter until caramelized.
- Deglaze with the sherry vinegar and reduce.
- Add the stock and reduce for a minute.
- Add the cinnamon and the meatballs and simmer gently until the sauce is reduced and the meat is cooked.
- Add the apricots sliced and warm then in the sauce.
- Add a little fresh chopped parsley and serve.