Carolina Kitchen: Basic creme brulee
by Dogwood Crafters, Chef Brenda Anders
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (or use white)
- Fresh berries
- Combine 1st 4 ingredients; stir with a wire whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth.
- Pour evenly into round individual baking dishes; place dishes in a large roasting pan.
- Add hot water to pan to depth of 1/2 inch.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in water.
- Remove from pan, cover and chill for 8 hours.
- Sprinkle sugar over each custard; place back into pan and broil 5 inches from heat until sugar melts.
- Let stand 5 minutes until sugar hardens.
- Garnish with fresh fruit of choice.