Carolina Kitchen: Blue Ridge Panzanella
by The Colorful Palate, Chef Don Paleno
- 3-4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 6 cups Old Biscuits or Bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 pound Looking Glass Creamery "Ridgeline" Cheese, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup Hickory Nut Gap Farms Milano Salami, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 each Large, Ripe Tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 each Cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 each Red Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 each Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 each Red Onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mint leaves, torn into pieces
For the vinaigrette
- 1 tsp Garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Whole grain mustard
- 3 Tbl Apple Cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Fresh crackd black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, gently toss the old biscuits/bread cubes in olive oil, season with kosher salt and place on a baking sheet.
- Toast bread until deep golden brown.
- Add more oil as needed.
- For the dressing
- Whisk all the ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cheese, salami, cucumber, peppers, onions and herbs.
- Add the biscuit/bread cubes and toss with the dressing.
- Season liberally with salt & pepper.