Carolina Kitchen: Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
- 16 Cups bread cubes (about 3/4 of a 20 oz. loaf)
- 2 large apples, cored and diced (about 2C)
- 1 Cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans), divided
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 3 Cups whole milk
- 1T caramel flavoring (optional or sub vanilla extract)
- 8 eggs
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Non-stick spray
- Caramel sauce
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cream of tartar, nutmeg, eggs, flavoring, milk and heavy cream, stirring thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place the bread cubes in the mixing bowl, adding half of the chopped nuts and all the diced apples.
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread, tossing to dampen all the cubes.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish, leveling from corner to corner, sprinkling with the remaining nuts.
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350º.
- After resting, bake for 45 minutes covered, then ten minutes uncovered if you prefer a lightly browned dessert.
- Serve immediately or cooled, drizzled with optional caramel sauce or Cinnamon Whipped Cream.