Carolina Kitchen: Chupacabra's shrimp & chorizo frittata and salmon cakes
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) —
Chupacabra Latin Cafe in Reynolds Village cooks up some great Mother's Day specials in their latest visit to the Carolina Kitchen.
Shrimp and Chorizo Frittata
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 C Chorizo
- 6 shrimp
- 1/4 Cup cheese (I used Jack)
- 2 small sweet peppers, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh Cilantro
- 2 Scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 C Onion, Diced
- Melt 2Tbs butter in a medium sautee pan over medium heat.
- Sautee Chorizo until it turns brown, add diced onion and continue to cook until chorizo begins to crisp.
- Add Shrimp, salt and pepper to taste, sweet peppers, and garlic. Sautee 1 to 2 minutes, add egg, cheese, scallions, and cilantro. Reduce heat to med-low and cover.
- Check periodically, reduce heat if needed. Cook until eggs are firm.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, pico de gallo, and chimichurri.
Chili-Citrus Salmon Cakes
- 8 oz Cooked Salmon (any preparation)
- 1 C Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tbs Mayo
- 4 Tbs Sour Cream
- Juice of 1/2 Meyer Lemon
- 2 Tbs Capers
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1/2 C onion, minced
- 2 sweet peppers, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 scallions, sliced thin
- Sautee onion, celery, peppers, & garlic in oil or butter until softened.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, add mayo, lemon juice, salt, pepper, & capers and mix until well combined. Add cooled, sauteed vegetables and mix.
- Add Salmon by hand, breaking it up to desired consistency, I like large pieces of salmon. Add bread crumbs and mix by hand until combined. Form into patties, 3 inches across and 1 inch high.
- Sautee in butter until browned on both sides. Serve with Green Salad and pickled vegetables.
Strawberry Basil Margarita
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 lb of Strawberries
- 2 Tbs Basil
- Sugar to taste
- Pulse in food processor until smooth.
- In a shaker, combine strawberry puree, 1.5 oz tequila, 1 oz Triple Sec and 1 Cup Ice. shake, strain over ice. Top with sour mix if needed. Garnish with a sliced strawberry and lime wedge.