Carolina Kitchen: Easy Shrimp Bisque
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1 Cup celery, diced
- 1 Cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1LB shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 4-6 Cup vegetable stock or shrimp stock
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp each: salt, black pepper
- Chives for garnish
- In a stock pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the celery and onion, cooking until softened, about five minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, all-purpose flour, chili powder, salt, pepper and thyme, stirring with a wooden spoon until the flour is starting to cook, about three minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to low boil, reducing the heat to medium.
- Simmer for five minutes and the base has thickened.
- Add the shrimp to the stock pot, stirring thru and cooking until all shrimp have turned pink and are cooked.
- Using a food processor or an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth, slowly adding the lemon juice and tomato paste to the pot as you process.
- Finally, once all of the soup is pureed and smooth, stir in the heavy cream, whisking into the soup and bringing the bisque up to heat for an additional five to ten minutes.
- Garnish with the chives as served in cups or bowls.