Carolina Kitchen: Mashed cauliflower, crock pot turkey breast and sausage stuffing
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) —
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 TBSP unsweetened almond milk
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter or ghee
- 2 TBSP Greek Yogurt
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- snipped chives
- Separate the cauliflower into florets and discard the core.
- Bring about 2 cups of water to a simmer in a pot, then add the cauliflower. Cover and turn the heat to medium. Cook the cauliflower for 12-15 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain and discard all of the water (the drier the cauliflower is, the better) and add the milk, butter, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper and mash with a masher until it looks like mashed potatoes. Top with chives.
Crockpot Turkey Breast
- 1 bone-in turkey breast
- 5 stalks celery
- 2 yellow onions
- About a cup (12-15) baby carrots
- 1-cup chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter, separated
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme*
- Make sure the turkey breast is completely thawed -- this can take 1-2 days in the fridge so be prepared. It isn't food safe to thaw a turkey in the crockpot.
- Place the celery at the bottom. Cut one yellow onion into large chunks and add it to the bottom. Add the baby carrots. Pour the chicken broth on top.
- Cut off the skin of the turkey breast or leave it on, making sure to get the rub under the skin.
- Place the turkey breast, BREAST DOWN on top of the vegetables.
- Cut the other onion in half and place inside the turkey with 4 tablespoons butter.
- Stir together all of the seasonings and rub all over the turkey. If leaving the skin on, make sure to rub the seasonings under the skin.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and, using a pastry brush, brush it all over the turkey.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour and then low for 5-7 hours or until the turkey's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F and it is very tender.
- Remove the turkey from the crockpot and turn so it is breast up.
- Start by removing the wishbone and then remove all the other bones. Take the large pieces of meat and slice them.
- 1 loaf sprouted sour dough bread, chopped into crouton size squares
- 2 onions chopped
- 8 stalks celery chopped in 1/2” slices – divided
- 4 carrots shredded – divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Turkey parts, gizzard, neck etc from a turkey breast
- Water as needed
- To make the stock add turkey parts, chicken broth and half the onion, celery and carrots. Simmer and reduce for 1.5 hours, adding water as needed.
- In a skillet brown sausage. Add half the onion, celery and carrots.
- Stir skillet contents into pan with bread squares. Pour stock through a strainer into pan and stir.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.