Carolina Kitchen: Pickled Asian cucumber salad
by Corner Kitchen, Chef Josh Weeks
- 4 European Cucumbers (cut into half moon shapes)
- 1 Red Pepper (julienned)
- 1/2 Red Onion (julienned)
- 4 Carrots (julienned)
- 1bch Cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4c Sesame Oil
- 2 Cups Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cups Sugar
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- Split the cucumbers lengthwise.
- Scoop out the centers and seeds with the end of a spoon.
- Slice the cucumbers into half moon shapes using the blade of a mandolin for consistency if available.
- Julienne the red peppers being sure to discard all seeds, stems and inner flesh.
- Julienne the red onion into thin half moon shapes.
- Julienne the carrots using a mandolin if available for consistent cuts.
- Chop the cilantro.
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, add liquids and seasoning and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.