Carolina Kitchen: Pita Pizza Sandwich
by Bruce’s Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- Pita bread
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pepperoni, “sandwich sliced” if possible
- Diced tomatoes, seeded
- Green onions, minced
- Mushrooms, sliced and sautéed (I prefer cremini, in this app)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Italian seasoning blend (optional, you may sub basil, oregano, etc.)
- Non-stick spray
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Coat lightly with the non-stick spray.
- Grill the “inside” of the pita bread for 20 seconds, flipping to the opposite side. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Scatter the diced tomatoes and green onions evenly over the cheese as it starts to melt, lightly seasoning with the Italian blend.
- Layer the pepperoni over the surface of the pita bread, topping with a few sautéed mushrooms on half.
- Place the lid over the skillet for 30 seconds, long enough to thoroughly melt the cheese and heat the pepperoni.
- Fold the sandwich in half and slice. Serve warm or chilled in a lunchbox.