Carolina Kitchen: Pizza Pasta Pie
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- 1# angel hair pasta, cooked to directions
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4T butter, melted
- 1C Parmesan cheese
- 2 oz. pepperoni, sliced
- 1T olive oil
- 1C fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2C tomatoes, diced
- 1C tomato sauce
- 1/2C onions, diced
- 1T dried basil
- 1 tsp each: oregano, parsley, thyme, salt, garlic powder
- 1 1/2C mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly toss the cooked pasta with the eggs, butter and Parmesan cheese to combine.
- Layer half of the mixture evenly in the bottom of a greased 9X13 glass baking dish.
- In a frying pan, lightly crisp the pepperoni to get rid of excess grease.
- Blot the pepperoni dry after frying, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot over medium high heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil for two minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms have absorbed all moisture, about another two minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and all spices to the mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer for three to five minutes.
- Ladle the sauce over the pasta in the baking dish, spreading corner to corner.
- Sprinkle with the crispy pepperoni and the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Evenly layer the remaining pasta over the top. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with more Parmesan or mozzarella cheese. Allow to rest for five minutes before cutting and serving.
NOTE: Your pie can be altered to ingredients that you enjoy on a pizza. The trick is to NOT overstuff the middle so the ingredients will not bake or over flow the baking dish.