Carolina Kitchen: savory oatmeal jambalaya
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) —
By the Writer's Bistro Chef Richard Petrelli
- Garlic -1T
- Red bell pepper -1/2 cup
- Green bell pepper -1/2 cup
- Celery -1/4 cup
- White onion -1/4 cup
- Andouille sausage -1 cup
- Steel cut oatmeal -2 cup
- Butter -2T
- Cajun seasoning -1T
- Scallions -1T
- Creole aioli *** -2T
- Cajun seasoning -1t
- Lemon juice -1t
- Mayo -2T
- Minced garlic -1t
- Salt and pepper -tt
- Cook steel-cut oats by putting 4 cups water on the stove to boil. Add steel cut oats and simmer uncovered until oats are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Reserve oats on the side until next step.
- Sauté vegetables and garlic until soft. Add medium diced andouille and heat.
- When cooked reserve one third of both the vegetables and the sausage until the end. Add steel cuts and a pinch of chicken stock or water to loosen.
- Season with Cajun seasoning, butter and some of the Creole aioli.
- Plate in bowl and garnish with the reserved sautéed vegetables and andouille.
- Finish with creole aioli and scallions.