Carolina Kitchen: Shrimp Paste
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- 1 LB shrimp or shrimp pieces, peeled & cooked
- 1/4 CUP butter, softened
- 1/2 CUP cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/3 Cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp each: salt, chili powder & black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 250º.
- In the food processor, grind together the cooked shrimp, cracker crumbs and butter until combined.
- To the processor, add the egg, heavy cream, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and the spices. Process until a smooth paste is achieved.
- Dispense the paste into the pie plate, scraping all from the processor.
- Smooth the paste to the edges, leveling the top.
- Bake on middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Allow to rest for ten minutes before serving warm with crackers or chill for later use.