Carolina Kitchen: Tomatillo salsa
By Polanco Chef Ricardo Carrassco
- 8 Fresh, ripe tomatillos (no yellow or white tones)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 serrano pepper (for milder flavor remove seeds)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Peel and slice tomatillos into 2-3 slices each depending on the size, remove top portion and discard. The idea is to charbroil these ingredients blackening the sides some.
- Place the tomatillos on a grill or in pan until they char a little on both sides.
- Repeat this with the 1/2 white onion, serrano pepper and two garlic cloves. The level of spice is determined by the seeds in the serrano pepper. If you don't like spicy, please remove the seeds using gloves.
- Once everything is charred, place in a blender, loosely chop 1/2 bunch of cilantro until you reach the firmest part of the stem and throw away.
- Add 1/2 avocado and 1/4 bunch of cilantro chopped.
- Salt and pepper to taste, blend, and serve.