Carolina Kitchen: Tomato Bisque
by Martha Vining, Givens Estate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 32-ounce canned crushed tomato
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- Heat large sauce pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add chopped onion, celery and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, cooked rice, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Cook mixture 2-3 minutes, stirring once to mix ingredients and heat through.
- Add crushed tomato and chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil, turn heat down and simmer mixture 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Puree soup with food processor or hand blender until smooth.
- Add heavy cream season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh basil or parsley.