Carolina Kitchen: Tostones and fish tacos
ASHEVILLE, N.C. —
Nestor Teran, Executive Chef/Owner of Smash Events, Inc. and the Smash Box Mobile Kitchen explains how to cook up tostones and fish tacos.
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 3 green plantains, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the plantain slices and fry until they soften, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a tostonera (a press) or a plate to slightly mash each piece until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Return the pieces to the hot skillet and fry until crispy, about 3 minutes per side.
- Salt tostones to taste + serve with refried beans and a lime wedge.