The Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Supporters say the Court's ruling means the law stands. Opponents are now working to repeal the law. Check back here daily for the latest developments locally and across the country.
October 1, 2013
1. Additional Funding for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
2. Under the new law, states will receive two more years of funding to continue coverage for children not eligible for Medicaid.
January 1, 2014
1. The Health Insurance Marketplace is established
2. You must buy coverage or pay a fee to offset costs of caring for uninsured Americans.
3. Medicaid program expands. Federal government to pay 100% of costs for first three years.
4. Tax credits given to people who can't afford care.
5. Ensures coverage for individuals participating in clinical trials
6. Annual limits on insurance coverage eliminated.
7. No discrimination due to pre-existing condition or gender
8. Small business health insurance tax credit increases
WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. wholesale businesses in January suffered their steepest sales drop in nearly five years, yet they continued to increase their stockpiles. This suggests that companies expect the economy to roar back after experiencing an abrupt winter slowdown.
BC-US--Dow Record-Three Personal Stories, 1st Ld-Writethru,1173 Dow Record: Three tales of ups, downs and changes AP Photo FX102, FX103 Eds: With BC-US--Dow Record. Adds photos. By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ AP Business Writer NEW YORK (AP) -- When the Dow first crossed 14,000, investors were overjoyed. ...
c 2014, WLOS ABC 13 | Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.
WLOS News 13 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Asheville, NC and nearby towns and communities in Western North Carolina and the Upstate of South Carolina, including the counties of Buncombe, Henderson, Rutherford, Haywood, Polk, Transylvania, McDowell, Mitchell, Madison, Yancey, Jackson, Swain, Macon, Graham, Spartanburg, Greenville, Anderson, Union, Pickens, Oconee, Laurens, Greenwood, Abbeville and also Biltmore Forest, Woodfin, Leicester, Black Mountain, Montreat, Arden, Weaverville, Hendersonville, Etowah, Flat Rock, Mills River, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Canton, Clyde, Franklin, Cullowhee, Sylva, Cherokee, Marion, Old Fort, Forest City, Lake Lure, Bat Cave, Spindale, Spruce Pine, Bakersville, Burnsville, Tryon, Columbus, Marshall, Mars Hill, Brevard, Bryson City, Cashiers, Greer, Landrum, Clemson, Gaffney, and Easley.