11 deaths confirmed in Louisiana flooding
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- Eleven deaths have been confirmed as a result of storms and flooding in south Louisiana.
Devin George, state registrar for vital records, said Tuesday the latest confirmed death occurred in Rapides Parish. He did not immediately provide details.
Of the other deaths, five were in East Baton Rouge Parish, three in Tangipahoa Parish and two were in St. Helena Parish.
Floodwaters were receding in many parts of south Louisiana on Tuesday, though they were continuing to rise in other areas as the water drained south.
Another eight parishes have been added to Louisiana's federal disaster declaration, boosting the number of parishes available for federal aid to 20.
Gov. John Bel Edwards' office made the announcement Tuesday and said additional parishes may join the list as further damage assessments are made.
More than 36,000 people from Louisiana have registered so far with FEMA, according to the governor's office. The governor had said at an earlier news conference that about 40,000 had signed up.
Torrential rains have caused widespread flooding in parts of southern Louisiana, killing at least 10 people.