WLOS to host School Safety Town Hall
ASHEVILLE, N.C. —
WLOS ABC 13 is hosting a "Your Voice, Your Future" School Safety Town Hall on Wednesday, May 9. The Town Hall will be held at the WNC Ag Center in Fletcher in the Virginia Boone Building from 8 p.m. - 9 p.m. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.
We have assembled panel to represent a variety of perspectives on this issue. The event is FREE and open to the public. Please RSVP to email@example.com if you can attend. You & your guests will be placed on the guest list.
WLOS School Safety Town Hall Panel:
- Mr. Bo Caldwell – Superintendent of Henderson Co. Schools
- Dr. Kimberly Elliott – Superintendent of Jackson Co. Schools
- Capt. Bruce Simonds – Hendersonville Police Dept. – supervisor to SROs
- Mr. Alan Justice – Safe Schools Director for Transylvania County Schools
- Ms. Jessica Villatoro – High School Student, Buncombe County Schools – Organizer for local March for our Lives
The school shooting on Feb. 14 in Parkland, Fla. took 17 lives. Though the discussion over how to keep students safe in the classroom is not new, this most recent mass school shooting has sparked renewed and passionate debate over mental health, gun laws, and school procedures.
Here in Western North Carolina, several school districts have seen a rise in threats since Parkland. Many have held their own forums and town halls on school safety, and several students have been charged or suspended.
We hope this Town Hall gives the public the opportunity to ask questions of law enforcement and school leaders about their roles in school safety and facilitate a healthy discussion about all aspects of school safety in WNC.
The moderator for the event is Mark Hyman.