Overcoming Throat Cancer
Reducing Icy Falls
Updated: Friday, August 2 2013, 10:18 PM EDTButton batteries are not just a choking hazard for children. They are also an imminent health danger if simply placed in the mouth or successfully swallowed. In fact, more than 3,000 children each year swallow the dime-sized cells. Small batteries are found in everything from key fobs to calculators to children's toys. That is why children's educators at Mission Hospital are warning parents who have youngsters. That can lead to injuries and conditions lasting a lifetime, even death. Experts say if your child gets sick and you suspect ingestion of a battery, go to the emergency room immediately and demand an x-ray. The sooner the battery is removed, the better the outcome for the child.Button Battery Dangers
Terms & Conditions
Contact WLOS News13
FCC Public File
EEO Public File Report
c 2014, WLOS ABC 13 | Portions are Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.
WLOS News 13 provides local news, weather forecasts, traffic updates, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Asheville, NC and nearby towns and communities in Western North Carolina and the Upstate of South Carolina, including the counties of Buncombe, Henderson, Rutherford, Haywood, Polk, Transylvania, McDowell, Mitchell, Madison, Yancey, Jackson, Swain, Macon, Graham, Spartanburg, Greenville, Anderson, Union, Pickens, Oconee, Laurens, Greenwood, Abbeville and also Biltmore Forest, Woodfin, Leicester, Black Mountain, Montreat, Arden, Weaverville, Hendersonville, Etowah, Flat Rock, Mills River, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Canton, Clyde, Franklin, Cullowhee, Sylva, Cherokee, Marion, Old Fort, Forest City, Lake Lure, Bat Cave, Spindale, Spruce Pine, Bakersville, Burnsville, Tryon, Columbus, Marshall, Mars Hill, Brevard, Bryson City, Cashiers, Greer, Landrum, Clemson, Gaffney, and Easley.