Button Battery Dangers
Updated: Friday, August 2 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Button batteries are not just a choking hazard for children. They are also an imminent health danger if simply placed in the mouth or successfully swallowed. In fact, more than 3,000 children each year swallow the dime-sized cells. Small batteries are found in everything from key fobs to calculators to children's toys. That is why children's educators at Mission Hospital are warning parents who have youngsters. That can lead to injuries and conditions lasting a lifetime, even death. Experts say if your child gets sick and you suspect ingestion of a battery, go to the emergency room immediately and demand an x-ray. The sooner the battery is removed, the better the outcome for the child.