Door to Door Sales Safety
Updated: Thursday, February 7 2013, 01:50 PM EST
Did you know in August of 2011 Forest City Council approved an ordinance regulating persons going door to door selling items in Forest City?
What should you know? Before a person can go door to door soliciting sales they must first receive a permit from Forest City Police Department. The fact the police department has issued a permit shall not be considered an endorsement by the Town of Forest City and/or the police department as to the legitimacy of the permit holder or the permit holder company.
What does a permit look like? The permit will contain a photograph of the person, his/her name, name of business the salesman represents, the type of items being sold and a permit number. The card will be white in color and contain the Town of Forest City seal in the background.
Persons whether licensed or not are prohibited from:
- Soliciting or peddling between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am;
- Accosting another, or by forcing oneself upon the company of another;
- Touching a person being solicited without the persons consent;
- Blocking the path of a person being solicited or blocking the entrance or exit of any building or vehicle;
- Using profane or abusive language during solicitation;
- Using of gestures or acts intended to cause a reasonable person to be fearful of the solicitor or make the person being solicited to feel compelled to accede to the solicitation;
- Being under the influence of alcohol or have illegally used controlled substances;
- Continuing to solicit an individual after the person has made a negative response, either verbally or by physical sign;
- Soliciting/peddling or attempting to solicit/peddle from city streets to include the right of way, sidewalks, median or shoulder thereof.
- Approaching motor vehicles or stand, sit or loiter in any city street or the right of way thereof for the purpose of employment, business or contribution from the driver or occupant of the motor vehicle.
Most importantly – If at any time you question the legitimacy of someone contacting you whether it be in person, by phone or by email, please call the Rutherford County Communications center so a Forest City Police Officer can be dispatched to investigate the activity.
Special Note: Charitable organizations where the accrued benefits are awarded to a charitable organization or charitable project within Rutherford County are exempt from the definition of "solicitor" or "peddler".