Shrimp & Sausage Creole
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
2 Tbs bacon grease, butter or oil
6 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Cup diced onion
1 Cup diced peppers
8 oz. andouille sausage, sliced
1 TBS dried basil
1 1/2 tsp ea: dried oregano & paprika
1/2 tsp ea: dried thyme & salt
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes in tomato juice
12 oz. - 1# raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (for this recipe, I use 31-40's)
4 Cups cooked rice, lightly seasoned
- Over medium high heat, melt the fat in the stock pot. Add the onions and peppers, beginning to saut and soften, about three minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir thru, following with the sausage. Stir to coat the sausage pieces, lid loosely and allow the sausage to begin browning, about another three minutes in time.
- Add the basil, oregano, paprika, thyme and salt, stirring as you add the flour last to coat the ingredients. (This will make a "roux" and will not require further additions of fat or oil.)
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with the juice and stir. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for ten minutes. (If the base is too thick, add C dry white wine, vegetable stock or water)
- Add the shrimp and stir through, ensuring no shrimp are stuck together. Replace the lid and simmer until shrimp are cooked through, at least another ten minutes.
- Once the shrimp are pink thru the middle, ladle over beds of rice in a shallow soup bowl, accompanied by crusty bread for dinner.
8 quart stock pot with lid
Want more recipes? Click here to check us out on Pinterest!