Organic Chocolate Kisses
by Barbara Kahn, Barbara Kahn Fine Arts
( all of the organic ingredients can be bought at a natural foods store and many at the supermarket like Ingles)
Yield: about 24 kisses
Ingredients, All Organic:
1/2 cup almonds, hazelnuts or pecans
1 cube sweet butter
9 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 drops almond or hazelnut extract
pinch of cinnamon
- Chop nuts in a mini-food processor first, or put in plastic bag and roll over them with a rolling pin or hammer with a wooden mallet. Put aside
- Melt butter over low heat in sauce pan.
- Add sugar and cream and stir until blended and smooth for a few minutes.
- Add cocoa, one tablespoon at a time, stirring each spoonful into the liquid. Stir until the chocolate gets shiny and will leave the spoon easily.
- Add almonds and extract and mix well. Allow to cool in sauce pan for a few hours, covered on counter. then refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Put one tablespoon cocoa powder in saucer and if you wish, add a few sprinkles of ground cinnamon. Mix. Option: set aside some chopped almonds to roll the balls into also.
- Remove mixture from fridge and make individual balls by rolling about a teaspoon in palms of hands (the chocolate softens in the warmth of your hands), then roll in cocoa cinnamon mixture and then chopped almonds.
- Wrap in aluminum foil. Refrigerate balls, covered. Remove from fridge about two hours before serving. Delectable and almost impossible to eat just one!
This easy recipe is a wonderful Valentines Day treat.
Chocolate is actually good for you, so enjoy it!
For more information about classes, products and art shows email Barbara at email@example.com
You may see Barbara with here wares at the Spruce Pine Farmers Market, held every Wednesday afternoon on Locust St. during Spring, Summer and Fall.