Bacon & Cheddar Ale Soup
by High Hampton Inn, Chef: Sean Ruddy
2 Strips bacon
2 tbs bacon fat (rendered from bacon crumbles)
2 tbs all-purpose flour
1 bunches leeks (white part, sliced thinly cross-grain)
1/2 cup yellow onions (diced)
2 each white potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 tbs garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbs salt
1/4 cup white wine
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup ale
1 cup aged sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Cook the bacon and drain on a paper towel, reserving the bacon fat separately
- Chop the bacon into tiny pieces, set aside
- In a large stock pot, heat the bacon fat and add the onions, leeks, garlic and spices, and
- Cook the veggies until soft.
- De-glaze with white wine
- Add the potatoes, stock, ale and enough water to cover the potatoes and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree until smooth, using an immersion mixer, or food processor
- Add the cream, and half of the chopped bacon and let simmer 10 minutes more.
- Add in cheddar cheese a little at a time until it thickens.
- Garnish with remaining bacon bits.