by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS sugar
1/4 Cup vegetable shortening
1/2 Cup whole milk
Vegetable oil for frying
Cinnamon sugar for dusting
- In food processor, pulse the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and shortening just until crumbly and resembling sand.
- Drizzle in the milk until moistened. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead for a minute or two and the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface using the rolling pin to thickness. Cut the cakes out using the biscuit cutter.
- Over medium high heat, bring the frying oil in the sauce pot to 350. Carefully drop each cake in the hot oil, cooking until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or serve with hot sauce at your next Caribbean event!