Red Beans And Rice
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
6 Cups Red Beans, cooked, liquid reserved
1 TBS bacon grease -or- olive oil
1 LB. Andouiille Sausage (Kielbasa sausage may be substituted)
2 Cups diced onions
1 Cup diced peppers (bell or poblano)
1 Cup diced celery
6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
4 Cups diced tomatoes, (canned in juice OK)
1 TBS ea: parsley, oregano, and chili powder
2 TBS dried basil (or 4T fresh, chiffonade)
2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp salt
4 bay leaves
4 Cups Chicken stock or water (optional)
Cooked rice for service
- Slice sausage into half wheels. In stock pot over medium high heat, brown the sausage pieces in the oil until all pieces have color. Remove from the pot using slotted spoon and set aside to drain.
- In the same pot and residual fat, add the onions, bell peppers and celery. Stir and saut until starting to soften and caramelize, about three minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, with juice, and stir thru to warm. Simmer for three minutes more.
- Add the garlic, parsley, oregano, chili powder, basil, salt and bay leaves. If mixture looks too dry, add the optional stock/water. Reduce heat to medium low, lid and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add the beans with reserved liquid and drained sausage back to the pot, stirring to meld all flavors. Reduce heat to low, lid again and simmer for fifteen minutes, minimum, before serving.
- To serve, ladle beans over a bed of cooked rice, accompanied by a side of fresh cornbread and cole slaw, with optional hot sauce and chowchow.