Caramelized Apple Topping
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
1/4 Cup butter
2 fresh tart apples, stemmed and seeded
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup water (optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
- Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in the skillet.
- Place the sliced apples in the butter and cook until beginning to brown, about two minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and water to the pan, stirring until dissolved using the spoon. Turn the apples over to coat and stir..
- Reduce heat to medium. Allow the sauce to simmer and begin to thicken before adding half of the cream, vanilla and the salt, stirring thoroughly. Add more cream if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Serve the warm caramelized apples over a bowl of ice cream, shortcakes or pancakes/waffles for a special breakfast treat.
Wooden spoon or gravy whisk