Creamy Italian Tomato Soup
by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
1 Cup diced onions
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TBS olive oil
3 Cup fresh tomatoes, peeled
28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
28 oz. can tomato sauce
1 TBS each: dried basil, dried oregano, parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- Core the fresh tomatoes. Carefully cut a shallow X on the bottom of the skin of each tomato. Blanche in boiling water for 20 seconds, immediately pulling to submerge in ice water for thirty seconds. The peels should easily come off, using the paring knife.
- In the stock pot over medium high heat, warm the olive oil. Saut the diced onions until softened and translucent, about three minutes. Add the garlic and stir thru.
- Puree the fresh tomatoes in the food processor, seeds and all. Add the sauted onions and garlic to the processor, continuing to puree.
- Pour the contents of the processor back into the stock pot. To the saut, add the petite tomatoes and juice and the tomato sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Season with the basil, oregano, parsley and thyme and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the heavy cream and stir thru to complete the soup. Serve with crusty bread and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese
6 - 8 quart stock pot