Quiche du jour
by Chef Bruce Brown- Bruce's Fabulous Foods
Ingredients - crust
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C vegetable shortening
1 tsp salt
Other herbs/spices (optional)
1/2 C cold water
Ingredients - custard
8 whole eggs
2C heavy cream
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
Ingredients filling/optional choices
Thawed, pressed Spinach & Gruyere Cheese (Florentine)
Tomato Basil & Feta
Bacon, Green Onion & Cheddar
Ham & Swiss
Smoked Salmon & Parmesan
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- In food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, shortening, salt and preferred herbs and spices. Pulse until the mixture resembles grated cheese.
- With processor running, add cold water until the dough collects and forms a ball.
- 4Dump the dough onto a floured surface and roll into 12 circle. Fit the dough into the greased cake pan, lined with parchment paper, so the dough comes up over the edge. Fold the upper crust in and crimp to design. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, white pepper and nutmeg until frothy. Add the heavy cream until smooth.
- Cover the bottom of the crust with a small amount of the custard mixture.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the selected cheese atop the custard, followed by the selected fillings (amounts vary), topped again with another layer of cheese.
- Carefully ladle the remaining custard over the fillings until covered. Place quiche on baking sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for one hour, minimum, checking to ensure the crust does not burn and the custard is golden brown and puffy. Allow to rest for thirty minutes before slicing. Re-warm in microwave oven, if necessary.
9 cake pan
Parchment paper circle
Mixing bowl with whisk