by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef: Bruce Brown
6 Cups vegetable stock or water
1/2 Cup white wine
4 TBS butter, separated
2 TBS shallots, minced
1 1/2 Cups Arborio rice
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2T butter. Add the shallots.
- Add the dry rice to the shallots, tossing until coated with butter.
- Add the white wine and stir frequently, until the wine is absorbed.
- Begin adding the stock, 1/2 Cup at a time, stirring with a spatula.
- Continue to stir, adding 1/2 Cup of stock as each previous addition is almost evaporated.
- After a minimum of twenty minutes, begin to taste the rice for "al dente" - it should still have just a bit of crunch in the center.
- Once the rice is cooked to desired tenderness, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Stir in the last 2T of butter and the Parmesan cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve at once as a side dish.
TIP #1 - Do not allow the risotto to cook until dry, continually add stock while rice is still soupy, 1/2 Cup at a time.
TIP #2 - Stir frequently, but it is not necessary to stir constantly - just don't scorch the rice!