WLOS ABC13 - Search Results
Boys Burned After Fire Pit Explosion
"I got a phone call from my mom, she was freaking out about it," says Carlos Rosales of Transylvania County.
He's the uncle of two boys injured when a fire pit exploded in their front yard. Rosales says his parents were burning off cardboard and other trash. He says his father didn't realize he added a flammable material, possibly paint, to the fire.
"I guess they picked up something, they didn't know what it was, because it was in a bag. They threw it in a fire," he tells us. "The kids were playing around the fire."
3-year-old Jaden Marcos and his brother, 6-year-old Adrian, both suffered second degree burns, including injuries to the face.
"They told them to back up and I guess it was too late and the fire exploded and got on them," Rosales says.
The boys were rushed to Mission Hospital at first. Carlos says he saw the older boy before both were transferred to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
"He had a breathing mask on, he had blisters on his face," he says. "He tried to stand up and said 'Carlos!' and he tried to give me a high five."
Carlos says the younger boy, Adrian, suffered more severe injuries but is expected to recover.
"I've seen posts on Facebook that we don't know how to take care of our children but these things happen," says Carlos. "Curiosity obviously defeats children."
Both boys are in pain, but fortunate the burns weren't much worse.
Experts say keep fire pits at least 10 feet away from combustible materials. Of course, be careful what types of materials you try to burn. And always keep children at a safe distance.