WLOS ABC13 - Search Results
Dryer Fire Destroys Home
A Yancey County home bursts into flame and a mother and her child narrowly escape a collapsing building. It happened in the Bald Mountain community.
Valena Geraci was watching a movie with her 4-year-old when she felt something was wrong in the house. When she checked the washroom on the porch, she found thick black smoke and flames spreading from the dryer into the house. She had only seconds to run back inside and grab her daughter and run through falling debris. She got out safely and called for help, but the house was a total loss.
Fire Marshal Neil McCurry says a flexible plastic dryer vent pipe is to blame for the destruction. Those pipes can be crimped, overheating the plastic and catching on fire. He says plastic dryer vents are no longer permitted by the state building code. He says only metal tubes should be used for dryer vents and they should be cleaned out twice a year to avoid build-up of lint.
The Geraci family is staying with friends while they recover from the fire and prepare to rebuild.