Work First Checks To Be Suspended
Letters are expected to be sent out from Raleigh on Friday, to inform 20,709 North Carolinians that their Work First program checks will be halted during the shutdown.
October checks were sent out, but 210 families on the Work First roles in Rutherford County will stop receiving checks beginning in November.
Federal money for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, which is referred to as Work First in North Carolina, has been stopped and the state has chosen not to fund the program.
Rutherford County Department of Social Services says that grandparents, aunts and non-parents that are taking care of children are the primary recipients of the monthly aid checks.
It's 181 dollars every month for one person, that increases depending on the number of people in the household. To qualify, recipients must work a minimum of 20 hours each week.
"These folks they're poverty stricken," said Kandi Bridges of Rutherford County DSS. "They're less than 200 percent of the federal poverty level, which means that sometimes their rent depends on that, or their power bill."
Clients will be referred to Yokefellow Service Center if the checks are stopped in November.
The organization has helped more than 7000 people facing poverty-related emergencies so far this year and Executive Director Carolyn Hardin says, if necessary they will raise the money to now help hundreds more.
For information on Yokefellow Ministries, you can contact: