Multiple House Fires
Three house fires in just this week in Cullowhee has fire officials urging precautions as the temperatures continue to drop.
Fire destroyed this home off Old Cullowhee Road last night.
While the cause is undetermined, officials say an improperly insulated wood stove caused another fire at a home off Black Mountain road Thursday morning.
A problem with the chimney is also blamed for a fire on Monday.
The Cullowhee Fire Chief says when burning wood, routine maintenance is vital.
Chief Tim Green, Cullowhee Vol. Fire Department, "it's good if you burn wood to clean your flue, stovepipes and even in mid-season, in December and January check it and clean it again."
No one was hurt in any of the fires, but Chief Green says check with building inspectors or chimney sweeps for questions about your chimney.