Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Fairview Chimney Fire

A Fairview home is damaged after a fire breaks out in the chimney.  It happened around 8AM Wednesday morning on Rilandwell Drive.

Firefighters noticed smoke coming from the chimney when they first arrived on scene but quickly learned the flames had escaped and spread to the attic.  Fairview Fire Chief, Scott Jones, says his men were able to knock down the fire in the attic and continue on up to the roof. But once they got there they were faced with another obstacle. 

"The roof peaks are extremely steep. They were covered with a thick layer of ice and made it extremely dangerous for our firefighters to get up on the roof," said Chief Jones.

Eventually, fire units were able to safely position themselves next to the chimney.  A short time later they removed the cap off the top and extinguished the flames.

Chief Jones says the residents were allowed to return to their home after the fire but will have to make repairs to the attic and chimney.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this time but fire officials believe build up in the chimney could be to blame. They are telling other homeowners to make to check and clean their chimneys.

 



6:00PM News 13 at 6
6:30PM ABC World News with Diane Sawyer
7:00PM Wheel of Fortune
7:30PM Jeopardy
8:00PM The Middle
8:30PM Suburgatory
9:00PM Modern Family
9:30PM Mixology
10:00PM Nashville
11:00PM News 13 Tonight

Complete Schedule »