Gas Line Explosion
Flames shoot as much as a hundred feet into the sky after a massive gas line break in Enka. It happened just before 4 p.m. Friday on Sand Hill Road near the Jacob Holms plant. The fire lead to evacuations and power outages.
The Asheville Police Department helped the Asheville Fire Department with traffic control. Sections of Sand Hill Road and Sardis Road were closed off.
Asheville Fire Department says it was a 12" gas line that exploded. They also say it was the main line, which is why there was a massive fire and threat to the community.
Officials were going door to door to let people know if they needed to evacuate. The evacuees were taken to Enka Baptist Church. Nearly 1,000 power outages were also reported.
At around 5:50 p.m., the Asheville Fire Department confirms that the fire was put out and the gas has been shut off in the area.
PSNC Energy has begun to make repairs to the damaged 12-inch natural gas line. In an effort to avoid possible loss of residential gas service, PSNC Energy urges customers in the Western Buncombe, Madison, Swain, Jackson and Haywood counties to conserve gas use during the overnight repair period.