Carolina Kitchen: Beef Tips and Gravy Slow Cooker
WLOS — by The Marjorie McCune Memorial Center, Chef Cassy Macy
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chicken bouillon cube
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 3c. beef broth
- Sprinkle (about 1 tsp) granulated garlic
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbl spoon red wine vinegar
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbl spoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 4 tbl spoons butter- divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Season your beef tips with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over a medium high heat and add the seasoned beef. Do not over crowd the beef and try to place in a single layer. Try not to stir to much so that you get a good crusty sear on each side.
- After all sides of beef pieces have seared (not cooked through), transfer the beef to a 6-QT crock pot. Leave any juices in skillet for the next step. If you forgot to leave juices, it's okay.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to any juices that were left in the pan. Add you onions, mushrooms and minced garlic. Quick saute for 3-5 min. or until the mushrooms start to release their juices. Add this onion and mushroom mixture to the beef in the crock pot remembering to leave as much of the pan juices in the skillet as possible again.
- In the skillet you'll now add the remaining 2 tbls. of butter to the juices that were left. If you forgot to leave the juices, it's okay, just add another tbls. of butter. Return pan to a medium high heat and let the butter melt.
- Whisk flour into the butter, until a thick paste has formed. Then add the beef broth, dry red wine, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, tomato paste and herbs. whisking it all together till thoroughly blended and thickening.
- Bring to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. You should have a gravy consistency. If not, let simmer on low heat until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Pour gravy over the mixture in the crock pot and stir it all up.
- Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-7 hours (recommended) or on high for 3-4 (if in a bigger hurry). Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice.