Carolina Kitchen: Cream of Cabbage Soup with Vegetables
by Chef Bruce Brown, Bruce's Fabulous Foods
- 4T butter
- 2C diced yellow onions
- 6 8C cabbage, diced (one large head should do)
- 1C All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1T salt
- 8-12C water, divided
- 4C heavy cream (or other dairy product)
- 1 1/2C carrots, julienned
- 1 1/2C zucchini, julienned
- 1½C redskin potato, julienned
- 2T dried parsley
- Diced green onions, for garnish
- Over medium high heat, melt the butter in the stock pot. Add the yellow onions and diced cabbage to the pot, sautéing until beginning to caramelize and soften, about five minutes.
- Season the cabbage mixture with the white pepper and salt, stirring in the flour until all is absorbed into the sautéed cabbage.
- Add 4C of water to the stock pot and reduce heart to medium. Stir until thickened and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- While the base of the soup is simmering, combine the julienned carrots, zucchini and potatoes in the sauce pot. Cover with the remaining 4C of water and bring to a low boil, allowing to simmer for one minute. Remove from the heat until ready to add to the soup pot.
- Using the immersion blender or food processor, carefully puree the cabbage mixture until smooth, adding the heavy cream in the process.
- Fold the blanched julienned vegetables, with the cooking water, and the dried parsley into the puree and simmer for fifteen to thirty minutes over medium low heat. DO NOT BRING TO A BOIL! If soup is too thick, add more water to get the desired thickness.
- Serve in soup bowls, garnished with the diced green onions