Carolina Kitchen: Spring pea succotash
By Corner Kitchen Chef Josh Chapman
- 1 oz olive oil
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, diced
- 2 cups of shelled English peas(frozen are fine)
- 2 cups of shelled fava seans
- 2 cups of sliced green onions
- 1 T herb mix
- 1 cup of diced country ham
- 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1 1/2 lemon juice
- 4 oz of vegetable stock
- 2 T whole butter
- 1 radish shaved for garnish
- Place the olive oil in the pan and bring to about 125 degrees F. Add the fennel and country ham. Let them Cook down slowly. This will pull a good bit of the fat in the ham out with the fennel.
- Add your peas, beans, and corn. If you are using frozen, these will start to sweat down.
- Add the vegetable stock and let that reduce by half. Then add green onions, herb mix and butter. Stir the butter in so that it emulsifies.
- Season with salt mix.
- Place in a bowl and shave some radish on top. And add a couple fennel fronds for garnish.