ICARD, N.C. (WLOS) — Investigators believe carbon monoxide poisoning might have killed a person and made two others so sick they had to be airlifted to a hospital in Burke County last weekend.
ABC affiliate WSOC reported it happened in a camper along Fox Drive, south of Icard.
Firefighters at the Icard Township Fire Department said they did not know when the initial call came in that it was a carbon monoxide problem, but when they got inside the camper, they found a small heater connected to a 20-pound propane tank.
Officials said a family member found the three people after not hearing from them. The two people who were rushed to the hospital are being treated in a hyperbaric chamber in an effort to get the carbon monoxide out of their system.
Icard Township Fire Chief Brand Lingerfelt explained the dangers of carbon monoxide.
“In small areas, you see the levels rise a lot quicker than in larger spaces,” Lingerfelt said. “Anytime you are in campers, tents, even basements, be sure to have those devices in place.”
Family members said the conditions of the two people flown to the hospital is improving.