Buncombe sheriff praises deputies for how they handled standoff

Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan praised his deputies after a nearly 11-hour standoff ended without any shots fired. (Photo credit: WLOS staff)

The 911 recordings were released from a chase that led to a nearly 11-hour standoff starting Friday afternoon.

Paul Killian, 59, bonded out of the Henderson County Detention Center on Monday. He was accused of pursuing his wife down Boylston Highway, in Henderson County, and firing shots at her before a standoff at the couple's house in Buncombe County.

Investigators said the domestic dispute started in Mills River.

An employee at an office off Fanning Fields Road called 911.

"She was here in our office doing business and he followed her in here and then, when she left, he pulled out right behind her," the caller from the office said.

The caller said Killian chased his wife down Airport Road.

"He shot at her five times," the caller said.

Multiple 911 calls came in to the dispatcher as the chase continued near Asheville Regional Airport.

"There's a black Nissan truck," a caller said. "He ran into the back of a car, and the car took off, and he jumped out and fired about three shots at her."

Investigators said Killian then drove back to his house in Arden and was then stuck on the porch because his wife changed the locks.

"They were right there on that street," neighbor Ricardo Ramos said.

Ramos witnessed Buncombe County sheriff's deputies confront Killian.

"To me, they did a good job," Ramos said.

Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan also praised his deputies after the standoff ended without any shots fired.

"He was not presenting a threat at the time, and there was no need," Duncan said.

The standoff continued in freezing temperatures.

"It was about 19 degrees out there," Duncan said

But, Duncan said, his deputies were warming Killian up to the idea of turning himself into law enforcement.

"As bad and as dire as the situation seemed, and he was in trouble for what had transpired, at this point in time, nobody was hurt, nobody was killed," Duncan said.

Deputies wrapped up the standoff early the next morning.

"We just kept it positive and kept it moving forward with him, and we were very glad for the outcome," Duncan said.

Killian appeared in court Monday is due back in court in January.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off