District attorneys: Fatal shooting of Forest City man was justified, no charges filed

    Photo: WLOS staff

    No charges will be filed in a Wednesday fatal shooting in Forest City that claimed the life of a man whom deputies say was assaulting and strangling his girlfriend, while threatening to cut her throat and kill her three children.

    On Friday, August 10, 2018, the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office presented the case to district attorneys, who concluded that the shooting of 46-year-old Steven Kelley, formerly of Indiana, was justified, and no charges will be filed.

    Detectives say a girl who was injured in the shooting was grazed by a bullet, taken to the hospital, and released the next day.

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 12:11 a.m.., the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office Communications Center received a 911 call about a shooting at Lakeview Drive in Forest City.

    When deputies arrived on scene, they located Kelley in the residence, dead from two gunshot wounds.

    Detectives with the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the scene shortly thereafter and began the investigation.

    In addition to Kelley, the other residents of the house were Kelley's girlfriend, her 12-year-old son and her two daughters, aged 15 and 16. All five had recently moved to the Forest City area from Indiana, and the family was in the process of buying the home, deputies said.

    The investigation determined that Kelley attacked his girlfriend, assaulting and strangling her. During the assault, deputies said in a statement, Kelley yelled that he was going to cut her throat and kill everyone in the house.

    The 12-year-old son retrieved a firearm. The 15-year-old daughter took the gun from her brother and fired it twice at Kelley, striking him in the chest.

    One of the rounds fragmented, grazing the 16-year-old daughter in the leg. She was taken to Spartanburg Regional Hospital and was released the followiong day.

    Deputies say the girlfriend suffered significant bruises and contusions from the assault.

    The investigation also revealed that Kelley had threatened his girlfriend several times previously, and that on Saturday, August 4, 2018 he had assaulted her, and fired multiple rounds from a firearm inside the residence to threaten and terrorize her.

    The investigation further revealed that Kelley, who had multiple firearms in the house and frequently carried one on his person, was a convicted felon with two active domestic violence protection orders against him from two different women in Indiana and Ohio.

    No domestic violence or assaults had been reported to Rutherford County about Kelley prior to the fatal shooting.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...