Former operator of Boone hotel where CO2 deaths occurred files federal lawsuit

Photo: WLOS staff

The former operator of a motel in Boone has filed a federal lawsuit after he was charged in three deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Damon Mallatere pleaded guilty on behalf of Appalachian Hospital Management this week.

Two people died in the Best Western in April 2013; then, weeks later, a boy died in the same room.

Mallatere says he was indicted after police and town officials gave the grand jury inaccurate information.

His lawsuit says the charges against him have made it impossible to get a job.

He's seeking more than $75,000.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending