Multiple roads closed due to downed trees, power lines
An extremely busy night across the region for emergency responders and power crews. Dispatchers across multiple counties are reporting trees and power lines down across Western North Carolina.
Many schools across the region are delayed or closed entirely for the day. Click here for a complete list.
- Terry's Gap Road is closed in both directions near SR-1573/Kyles Creek Road in Fletcher; power lines/trees in roadway
- Grant Mountain Road closed in both directions near US-74 ALT/Gerton Hwy. in Henderson County; tree across the road
- US-74 is closed in both directions near US-64/Chimney Rock Road east of Fletcher; downed trees and power lines
- Kanuga Road closed in both directions between Old Kanuga/Kanuga Pines
- Middle Ford Road near Hendersonville -- Road closed due to power lines/trees in roadway
- Bearwallow Mountain Rd (Bearwallow Mountain Rd) - Road closed due to tree across the road
- Grant Mountain Rd. (Grant Mountain Rd.), East of Hendersonville - Road Closed due to tree across the road
- US 221 near Winding Stairs Road is CLOSED due to a rockslide. - UPDATE (7:20AM) The road has reopened.
- Both lanes of US 70 east in the area of Faith Baptist Church Road are closed due to power lines in the roadway.
- Tree in the roadway at Old Fort-Sugar Hill Road near Parker Padgett Road in Marion
- Asheville Police tell us there are power lines down on Tunnel Road and they are diverting people in the area.
- Elk Mountain Scenic Highway is closed due to a downed tree.
- Sweeten Creek Road, just south of Mills Gap Road: tree down, partially moved but is blocking one lane of travel
- Tuesday morning, Shelburne Road in West Asheville is closed in both directions due to a downed limb
- TRAFFIC LIGHTS OUT New Leicester Hwy at Patton Ave in Asheville. Use caution!
- Macon County emergency management has closed NC 106 from 2200 Dillard Road in Highlands to the North Carolina/Georgia state line.
The Eastern Band of Cherokee reports:
- The storm has caused the most damage in the following communities: Big Cove, Wrights creek, Big Y, Wolfetown areas. EMS answered 18 calls during storm event Cherokee fire dept had 33 calls with approx 10 to 15 homes with trees on them. Approximately 10 campers with tree and wind damage. Widespread power outage with downed utility lines.
A few traffic closures to update Tuesday morning:
- The Blue Ridge Parkway commuter zone from Craven Gap to Highway 191 will be closed until Wednesday morning.
- Highway 9 just north of Gold Anchor Land, south of Crooked Creek Road is closed after a tree came down.
- Highway 74A between Gerton Highway and Gerton is closed.
In addition, Duke Energy is reporting nearly 45,000 in Western North Carolina without power at this time.
As of 5 A.M. Tuesday morning, almost 45,000 people spread across the mountains are without power. Duke Energy is reporting the following outages:
- Buncombe County - 18,330
- Cherokee County - 15
- Graham County - 87
- Haywood County - 1,078
- Henderson County 5,358
- Jackson County - 8,993
- Macon County - 7,014
- McDowell County - 173
- Polk County - 521
- Rutherford County - 2,442
- Swain County - 375
- Transylvania County - 139
- Yancey County - 116
Check the Duke Energy map here for the latest number and estimated restoration times.