6 units damaged, 2 people rescued in Asheville apartment fire still under investigation

Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other units, although, smoke affected them. (Photo credit: WLOS staff)

Flames broke out at Ascot Point Village Apartments on Hendersonville Road in South Asheville from which two people had to be rescued on Saturday.

According to Asheville firefighters six units were damaged, but the fire was contained to the bottom floor. Firefighters rescued the people on the top floor along with their dog and cat.

No one was injured, firefighters said.

RELATED | Fire at Ascot Point Village Apartments

According to Cheontre Alexander, the fire broke out in her apartment. Leasing office staff have given her access to a temporary apartment following the terrifying ordeal.

“I was in my room sleeping when I woke up to the smoke detector," Alexander said.

Alexander said she lives with a few others, and thought maybe one of them set off the detector while cooking.

“When it didn't go off I opened my bedroom door and the kitchen lights were off, and I just saw smoke. So, I walk up my hallway and I just look to my left, and I just saw the fire in my living room," she said.

Her two dogs were sitting by the door.

"I just opened the door, sat them outside, went back in my room, grabbed my phone and walked out and called 911,” Alexander said, “because it was growing so quickly I didn't have time to do anything more than that."

Alexander, her dogs, and everyone else in the three-story building made it out OK, in part, she said, to her smoke detector.

"Always keep them on and, if the battery is beeping, change the battery,” Alexander said, “just make sure, because if it wasn't for that I wouldn't've known the fire was in my living room."

Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other units, although, smoke affected them.

"Most of the damage was contained to the open areas of (my apartment) and all of our important stuff was in our bedrooms, things that can't be replaced," Alexander said.

Staff at the complex sent out an email after the fire, offering help alongside the Red Cross.

"I'm just grateful that everyone else's OK. I got myself out, I got my dogs out, the rest of it is just material things that can be replaced," Alexander said.

The cause of the fire was still under investigation as of Sunday.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off