Turns out NC LOVES Christmas, ranking in the top 10 states overall for Christmas
'Tis the season for jingle bells, decked-out halls, and holiday goodies galore — it's the most wonderful time of the year! Unless you're a Grinch.
Good news, a new report says North Carolina is not only full of the Christmas spirit, but one of the TOP states in the country for Christmas!
To determine which US states have the most Christmas spirit, the analysts at GetCenturyLink compared data in two main categories: online activity and area culture.
- Several popular Christmas movies were filmed in third-ranked Utah, including the 2000 live-action How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Hallmark Channel favorites like Christmas Under Wraps.
- Jean Shepherd, author of A Christmas Story, grew up in Indiana (#12); Ohio (#20) hosts the Christmas Story museum—the movie was filmed in Cleveland.
- Washington state came in first in overall Christmas spirit, but it ranked below average on three of the online metrics we used to create the rankings: Christmas movies, wrapping paper, and Elf on the Shelf.
- Alaska may be the coldest and snowiest state, but it ranks below average in every category except one: the state ranks #3 for “gingerbread house” searches.
- All but four of the bottom ten states are hot, dry, and sunny year-round; meanwhile, top-ranked Washington state receives 80 inches of snow annually.
The top 10 states are marked with a Christmas tree, and the bottom 10 states are marked with a Grinch.
Here’s the master list:
- South Dakota
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- Rhode Island
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- New Hampshire
- New York
- New Mexico
- New Jersey
BONUS: The fine folks at RomanticAsheville.com have put together a list of the Top 12 Christmas Towns Near Asheville! You can find that list here.