Urban Orchard joins the breweries on Asheville's Buxton Avenue
Asheville's fast growing South Slope has a new resident. Urban Orchard Cidery has opened a second location in Asheville. It has a ton of ciders and some beer on tap at the tasting room on Buxton Avenue.
Urban Orchard Cider Co. South Slope is open now, but a grand opening is set for Oct. 27. The actual opening will be listed as Oct. 30 to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the original location on Haywood Road in West Asheville.
"It's a project about two years in the making, so we're really excited," co-owner Josie Mielke said.
The new spot, at 24 Buxton Ave., is in the 20,000-square-foot building that used to house Eagles Nest Outfitters.
Grand opening festivities will include:
- The debut of the outdoor stage, which will host six free shows in 2019. The Oct. 27 show will feature Armadilla with Special Affair headlining.
- Fire Flights: Six Urban Orchard Craft Ciders made with chilis from Smoking J's Fiery Foods in Candler.
- DJ Malinalli will spin dance music for the Afterparty Dance Party from 10:30 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Pregame with the Asheville Sport & Social Club in the adjacent outdoor stage lot, from 1 p.m. until the music begins at 4 p.m. Fall- and Halloween-themed games with prizes from all your favorite Asheville businesses.
- Surprise entertainment and appearances throughout the evening.
Staff will be dressed as their favorite Urban Orchard Cider. Costumes are encouraged.